Fans of Gothic architecture will not want to miss this fine example of the style, complete with a belfry tower flanked by gargoyles. The church's most impressive feature, however, is found inside behind the altar, an area graced by intricate carved screens called reredos made of stone from France. Parishioners held the first service in this church on Christmas Day of 1867. It is the seat of the oldest Episcopal parish to be established west of the Mississippi River. Free tours are conducted weekdays inside the cathedral that is a National Historic Landmark listed in the National Register of Historic Places.